Monday, October 31, 2011

Trick or Treat Street

On Saturday we took the kiddos to a Trick or Treat Street hosted by the high school I taught at. They always go all out and do a great job, and this year was no exception. Normally, it is super crowded, but this year it was perfect- not crowded at all- and we really had a fantastic time. The girls loved it- of course! (and I enjoyed it WAY more than the trunk or treat)

Here Audra is with her best friend Chole- I mean, Jessie. For this Halloween activity Audra chose to be Princess Aurora, obviously.

 And Claire again chose Minnie Mouse (though she always says "Mickey Mouse)
 One room was a princess room, which had Audra in fairy tale paradise
 What a cutie!
 One room was a Star Wars room. Ben and Audra play Lego Star Wars all the time, but she has never seen the movie because she is too young. In this room they were showing a little bit of the movie so they watched some. I think Ben looks more excited than Audra.
 The four girls- looking great!
 Thumbs up!
 Then, here are some pictures of tonight. Once again, Audra chose a new costume. This time it was "Bat Girl." She decided she wanted to be bat girl at about 4 PM. We did not have a bat girl costume, nor was I about to go to the store and get one. Her friend was bat girl this morning at pre-school and that's why she decided she needed a change of costume. So she came up with her own costume- she got a pink hooded towel and started "flying" around the room. It was pretty funny. I don't think anybody got it except her, but luckily at her age nobody cares.
Claire was a game time decision about whether or not to go trick-or-treating. She has a little cough and a stuffy nose, so I wasn't going to let her go,  but she was SOOOOO excited to go so Ben caved and let her go. This was the first time we took the girls trick-or-treating. Or, I should say, that Ben took them out. They were only gone for a half hour, but they scored some serious candy! People are generous!
 This is when Audra trick-or-treated at our house. Look at that smile! Claire didn't wait for me to give her candy- she just ran inside so I couldn't get her picture.
I was thinking about Halloween. It is not my favorite holiday, but I really do like it. Not enough to do heavy duty decorations or actually dress up myself every year, but I remember as a kid how magical Halloween was. It was always so exciting. We would go out for hours. Then, we'd come home and dump out all of our candy and do swaps with each other. It was so much fun- definitely a highlight of the year. So, even though as an adult Halloween is not nearly as exciting, I want it to be exciting for the kids. They are still a little young, but this year they did start to really get into it which was fun to see.

And, for the record: We had 24 trick-or-treaters, including Audra and Claire. When we were little it seemed like we had hundreds of kids come through. I remember my dad needing to run back out on Halloween night to get more candy because we ran out. Now, with all the trick or treat streets and community events, there doesn't seem to be as many kids out on Halloween night. Oh, well- it was still a fun night- and I am pretty sure the girls LOVED it. Ben asked Audra what she thought of trick-or-treating and she said, "I thought it was really fun!"

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I'm glad you had fun with your girls this year. They sure look cute in their costumes!

ferfischer said...

Love the costumes - it's starting to get really, really fun with my kids now!