Saturday, September 17, 2016

Comic Book Store

Claire is really into comic books. I really don't even know how much, but I know that while we were camping a total comic book geek was wearing a t-shirt with just the eyes of 6 different comic book characters, and Claire could identify all but one:


I had no idea she knew that many comic book characters. As a total and complete non-comic book reader, it is not something I have pushed or encouraged at all, because it simply never crossed my mind.

While we were on vacation at BYU, they had a very small one room comic book museum that we took the girls to. That really seemed to pique her interest more and she even drew a comic strip:


"Help! Help! Help me!" "Drat, oh drat that robber!" "I'm going to save her!" (note: I love that it's a female superhero) "Thank you for saving me!" "Let's be friends" "Forever" "Yay, let's have fun!" "Together" "The end. They lived happy ever after."

Ben thinks this is the greatest thing in the history of the world- one of his children likes comic books! And, since she does, the other two are interested as well!

He's been plotting a trip to the comic book store (the one he shopped at as a child) all week. We really don't want her to read silly nonsense comics like My Little Pony or Barbie, so he researched what good, quality comic books with strong female characters are good for 7 year old girls. He found a couple to try, but in the end only Audra would buy one of his recommendations- The Lumberjanes. In the end, Claire chose a spooky Mickey Mouse comic and Camille chose an old Lady and the Tramp comic. I have a feeling we will be heading back to the comic book store soon.


We are quite certain this is the only time 4 girls have ever been in this store at the same time.


1 comment:

ferfischer said...

There are so many great graphic novels that are more modern - find that section in the library - you won't be sorry!