Friday, January 29, 2021

Project Based Learning

 In December, I decided to try something different with Child #2 who often struggles with motivation: switching to project based learning.

I gave her a list of subjects that are non-negotiable and that she has to do (math, reading, writing) but then said we were going to try something different- projects. Her first project would be to do a magazine about The Medieval Times. She was very excited and really dove into the project. So much so, Audra and Camille asked if they could make one, too. So, Audra made one about sleep and Camille made one about wolves.

We got lots of books from the library and they all researched for hours. It was actually quite impressive! 

So, we are continuing with the trend. Last week, they each presented a biography of an historical figure- Buddha, Erik the Red, and Charlemagne.

And, this week? They spent hours designing and building this Viking ship:


So, I would definitely say that Project Based Learning is a success. Now I need to come up with an idea for next week!

1 comment:

Margo said...

I have been told that we are related to Eric the Red. I have not verified that information though. Supposedly that has something to do with how the name Allred came about.