Claire and Camille are studying Native American history a little bit in our homeschool. They are reading this book:
It's all about tribes getting together for a powwow.
Then, we found out that there was a powwow in Denver. We decided to go and check it out.
I'm really, really glad we did.
I had never been to anything like this. I didn't have a clue as to what it was or what to expect. It was a competition- the different members from various tribes would compete against each other in various dances that they had learned from their ancestry.
It was truly beautiful. The respect for the culture, traditions, and for their families/elders is inspiring. We simply don't have anything like it in white culture. Maybe passing on our religion, but even that doesn't compare. This was really something so neat to witness. I'm really glad we went and tried something different, and learned a little bit more about this beautiful culture.
It also made me grateful for homeschool. Going to this powwow is a direct result from homeschool- like so many thousand of other things we have done over the years. We have done so many things I never would have thought of because of homeschool. And, most importantly, we got to enjoy them together as a family. We have all of these incredible family adventures and experiences. If it weren't for homeschool, the kids would have had wonderful experiences with their friends, not with each other. I'm selfish- I'm really, really glad we got to share them together instead of with friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment