For years I have wanted to take the girls on a church history road trip. I wanted to go last year, but Ben didn't want me to spend the money to go, so we went this year instead.
Our first stop was Winter Quarters, Nebraska. I found out I have two 2nd great aunts who are sisters buried there. Both of them died of scurvy, about 6 weeks apart from one another, one aged 1 and one aged 6. They are Cooks- we are related to Quinton L. Cook through that family line.
The missionaries took us to where they are buried in the cemetery and we got to stand on their grave.
There isn't a whole lot to do in Winter Quarters, so 2 hours was plenty of time, but I'm still glad we stopped and got to learn some about our family history.
Before we got to Winter Quarters, I saw a sign for a stop at a Pony Express station. I had to stop! My sisters and I loved watching The Young Riders about the pony express when we were teenagers. I loved seeing this original stop and learning a little bit more about the Pony Express.
And then it was on to Winter Quarters.





















No comments:
Post a Comment