Monday, June 5, 2023

Road Trip Day 8: Liberty Jail

 On our last day we went to Liberty Jail and the Independence Visitor's Center.





This is Camille testing how uncomfortable and cold the floor was that they slept on. She said she would NOT want to ever sleep on that, but the prisoners did every night for 4 months.





All of their trials were for this reason right here:


A replica of a cabin at the visitor's center:


They had copies of The Book of Mormon in over a hundred languages, many of which we had never heard of. It was really cool.

This is the temple of the Church of Christ (the reorganized  church). We learned a little bit about them- mostly that they have stripped themselves of all things that make Joseph a prophet and the Church the Church. They have now lost all of the restoration truths and are now aligned with the national protestant coalition. It is no wonder our church has grown to over 17 million and they have lost members and are now at 250,000 members. This temple, in fact, is called a temple but is really just a regular meetinghouse.


After that tour, we decided to go home. We had done everything we wanted to do, and we were ready to come home. Even though we already paid for the hotel, we decided not to stay another night. It was 1 PM, with a 9 hour drive ahead of us. But because we were ready to be home, we packed up "quickly but thoroughly" and headed out.

Here are my thoughts on the trip that I posted on Facebook:

The girls and I just got back from a road trip (sans Ben who would rather have a permanent mullet then go on a road trip).
7 states. 2,493 miles. 4 different hotels. 36 hours driving.
The purpose of the trip was to visit Church History Sites. The history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is filled with tragedy and joy- and an overwhelming legacy of faith and love by those who came before, including my ancestors.
I’ll post my deeper thoughts in the comments for those interested.
Highlights and surprises:
-Stop at an original Pony Express station- oh, The Young Riders with Stephen Baldwin memories!
-Des Moines, IA is surprisingly beautiful- I would love to go and explore it someday
-Wisconsin Dells are a random tourist spot, but so fun- we all loved Noah’s Ark Waterpark
-Nauvoo Temple is beyond stunning. Audra wants to get married there. (early church members built Nauvoo as a refuge from persecution. They built a temple which mobs burned down, but it was rebuilt in 2002)
-Got to walk on the ground of my 5th great grandma and grandpa Allred who lived in Nauvoo
-Got to stand on the grave of my second great aunt in Winter Quarters (after being forced out of Nauvoo, the saints went to Winter Quarters, where half of the children died of scurvy, including two of my great aunts at ages 1 and 6)
-Nebraska has great rest areas (take note, Wyoming! You can learn a few things!)
-The performance missionaries at Nauvoo are fantastic- I hope at least one of my girls decides to be one! (performers aged 18-25 can go and perform plays, dances, and in a band for the summer tourists)
-Joseph Smith was murdered at Carthage Jail and imprisoned on false charges at Liberty Jail. We visited both jails and it was very powerful- the sacrifices he made for the Gospel of Jesus Christ are awe-inspiring. I have such great love and respect for him.
-Our 2009 Sienna is a beast! I love it- it just keeps on going!
-Camille kicks and punches in her sleep. It is not fun to share a bed with her. But apparently my snoring isn’t great to sleep with, either.
After 8 days we were ready to come home, and ended up coming home a day early as we had seen all the spots and were ready to be home. It was an incredible trip with a million memories, but I am glad to not be kicked in the back at night (though apparently I learned a few things from Camille and kicked Ben last night...oops!)

My deep thought comment:

I have always wanted to visit these sights. I love my faith. I love the legacy that the Saints left. Seeing the places where they went through so much suffering and trials, but where they also experienced so many miracles was wonderful. I was surprised by the ordinariness of these places. The Lord works with us in the ordinary.
I love The Book of Mormon (if you want a free copy, let me know). I love Joseph Smith. I love that I get to walk on the shoulders of those who came before me- and that I get to pass that on to my children. I prayed that my girls would each have a spiritual experience while we visited these sacred sights. I don't know if they did or not, but I hope they took something away from this trip and remember a little bit of the sacrifices made so they could have the gospel of Jesus Christ in their life.
Above all else, I want my children to know that their mother has a testimony of the Savior, of The Book of Mormon, and of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ (we believe Joseph Smith literally restored the Church that Jesus Christ taught while on the earth- that is why we have prophets and apostles, temples, and so much more. It isn't just showing up for church on Christmas and Easter- it is daily striving to be like Him, even though we fail as much as we succeed). If they can know that their mother KNEW, then I figure I'm doing something right.

No comments: