Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Ghana!

 Claire comes home from Ghana in two days! We have had zero contact with her (we aren't allowed to- NO phones allowed, it is a complete digital detox for the kids) except one letter she hand wrote, her leaders took a picture of, and sent to us. She said nothing has gone right, but that has only made their group stronger. She loves the people she is serving, is falling in love with Ghana, is not loving the food but the snacks we sent her with are holding her over, and she is making friends she is certain will be friends for life.

Her group leaders are posting pictures every day- that and Claire's letter are the only insights to her trip we get until she gets home.
I know voluntourism faces ethical debates. And, I hope and pray Claire gets out of this trip what she needs to get out of it, while trusting #HXP is doing everything in their power to make this service a win for the people of Ghana as well as the participating teenagers.
I can't wait to hear about all of her adventures! A humanitarian trip to Africa has been a lifelong dream of mine. I launched what I considered a very persuasive campaign to join the trip as a parent volunteer. Claire's response was swift, unwavering, and left no room for appeals. My application was rejected faster than a reality show audition. Sigh.






















No comments: