Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Best Laid Plans

Last Saturday we took the girls up to the mountains for a "Slithering Snakes" class. We love these classes that Jeffco puts on! The kids (and I!) learn so much.

 Here they are getting to touch a real snake. Claire was a little shy, but eventually jumped in.

 Then they went out to figure out where snakes would go when they are hot, or when they are cold. Snakes can't control their body temperature, so they have to move to cooler or hotter places depending on what they want their temperature to be. It was great for the kids to learn so much.
After the snakes, we decided to head down to Invesco Field to watch the Broncos scrimmage. They open it up to the public for free and thought it would be fun.

Boy were we wrong!

We would thought we would be smart and park at our rental property- it's about a mile from the stadium. Traffic was bad and we missed the turn-off. We were already late, and this missed turn made us even later. But, we figured a scrimmage was the same length of a game, and even though we would miss seeing the starters, we thought we would see the 2nd and 3rd string players, which was fine.

It was very hot, and we had  to carry Camille for a lot of the way.

We get there, and they wouldn't let me in because I had my purse. Ben had to go to the bathroom, and everything was going WRONG. I was so mad that I couldn't go in! I had to walk back to the townhouse. Ben went in with the girls while I headed back. Thankfully, a friend happened to be driving by and gave me a lift back to the townhome (quite a case of serendipity, but we took whatever good luck we might have come our way!).

Ben texted me where they were sitting. They got super great seats.

Why? Because they walked into the stadium right as the last snap of the scrimmage went off! We all missed the entire thing! The scrimmage only lasted a little over an hour.

We were hot, grumpy, and frustrated.

 It was definitely NOT worth the effort, except for this:
 If you look VERY closely, that is Peyton Manning's head. Right after the game he ran over to right where Ben and the girls were sitting (I missed this completely) and Ben got to see Peyton up close. That made him very happy, and he thinks it was worth the effort.

I think we learned a good lesson: IF we go next year (a BIG if), we will need to go several hours early.

 Here's some more players getting interviewed. I think. I can't tell.
I will say it was neat to see Invesco Field. It is beautiful- absolutely a sight to behold. Perhaps someday we will go to an actual game there. We'll see. It was such a mess with so many people, and the stadium was hardly full at all, that I think it is much easier to just watch the game in the comforts of home!

No comments: