Thursday, September 18, 2014

Roller Skating

Claire has been begging to take roller skating lessons. I found out the local skating rink offers classes for pre-school kiddos so we decided to check it out.

Because Audra is a beginner they let her participate as well.

They did an awesome job- I can't believe the patience the teachers have! There were about 20 little kids on roller skates with lots of falls and quite a few tears, but the teachers were fantastic with the kids.

Of course, the hardest part was chasing after Camille. Oh, well- slowly and surely we will figure out how to keep her entertained.

 Claire was very scared. It took her awhile to let go of the wall.
 Audra was a trooper. She did fantastic- she fell about 10 million times but just kept getting up. When she skated off after the class, she burst into tears because of all of her falls. I am not sure why she kept going when it was upsetting her, but she never came off the rink until after the class. After a few tears she was fine.

 Yay! Claire is standing!
 But it only lasted a few seconds. For most of the time she crawled around the rink:
 Camille stared longingly at the rink, wishing she could join:

Even though both Claire and Audra shed many tears, they both said they had a good time and wanted to go back. This surprised me, but I'm pretty sure we will go back. How can we  not when apparently Claire has a great time crawling on the floor for an hour and a half?

3 comments:

Danielle said...

You should get them some skates and let them skate around your garage. That's how I learned. The concrete is a little rougher so they aren't as slippery. Then when they get better, they can skate on the sidewalk, etc. I spent half my childhood doing that. :) I always hated the rink, though. Too many people and too fast.
I didn't know there was such a thing as roller skating lessons. Cool!

Christina said...

That's a good idea- especially with the winter months coming up. That will be a good activity for them to get out some of their energy!

Danielle said...

Yeah, this friend of mine and I used to pretend we were figure skaters and did all kinds of "performances" in her garage.