Monday, June 13, 2016

Finishing Strong...Or Not!

Last week we "finished" our second year of homeschooling.

I am using the term "finished" quite loosely, because it's not like we all of a sudden hit a stopping point where everything abruptly ended at once, but it still nice to say the word "finished." The girls are now, according to our records, 2nd and 4th graders- they have advanced.

We have been gradually finishing the curriculum over the last several weeks- grammar was done mid-May, writing at the end of May, and really it was just our reading that we needed to continue, and that is what we finished last week.

That does not include math, which we are actually going to keep doing through the summer- A) Because we are a bit behind, and B) Because I think it's good to keep working on it anyway to keep up with what they have learned.

How did Year 2 go? Quite well, actually! I have definitely seen the girls improve- especially in reading and writing, but in other subjects as well. Audra is loving cursive writing, and both of them are reading exceptionally well. I am also feeling much more confident in my own abilities, and in how this works and how it can be successful in our own home.

This year we learned more about world history- including the Renaissance, Reformation, and on up to World War Two. Audra learned double digit multiplication, Claire learned her addition and subtraction facts. They did some geography, and learned about various artists. The girls attended Options, which they both loved- and it was great for me to not have all the pressure of their education as well. Next year we are switching to the Options program in Douglas County because it is a lot closer. This was a difficult decision, but one that I feel really good about.

There will be a couple of other changes as well next year that I'm excited about. Audra is going to start band at the local elementary school. She wants to play the trumpet. And, as mentioned earlier, I am trying an entirely new curriculum which I am hoping will provide us a little more flexibility.

Basically, we are continually evaluating and adapting, learning and growing. The kids are still enjoying homeschooling- especially Audra, who remembers how much homework she would have to do AFTER sitting in a chair for 6 hours. Audra loves that we can get all of our work done in a few hours and then have lots of time to play/go to the pool/attend co-ops, etc.

As long as we continue to enjoy homeschooling, we will continue to do it. When that changes, we will look at different options.

Audra did get her ITBS test scores back, and she did exactly as I expected- awesome in reading/writing, not quite as awesome in math. She's perfectly average and perfectly wonderful. It was nice, though, to have it reiterated that I don't need a test score to know exactly where my kids are.

People keep asking me if we will keep homeschooling over the summer. We can, but I want the kids to be kids and not have as much structure over the summer. We will continue with math, as stated, and with reading out loud, but it won't be as intense as "school." Our school this summer will be hiking, play dates, hanging out at the pool, cooking together, lots of free time to do nothing, maybe doing some crafts and random science experiments. You know, basically living and enjoying each other- just what a summer should be!

Here's to another great and successful year!!!!



1 comment:

Kristin said...

Way to go on 2 years! I so admire you and am storing your knowledge away for the day that our schools get bad enough that I feel homeschooling is a better option. Thanks for sharing!