Sunday, October 22, 2017

Primary Talk

Every year the children aged 3-12 put on the sacrament meeting program at church, and every year everybody talks about how wonderful the program always is.

But, I, being the person that I am, actually can't stand the primary program in our ward. Why would I say such a thing? I mean, I LOVE kids- especially mine- and who wouldn't love hearing 4 and 5 year olds yelling into the microphone their testimony (which sounds awful, but is really about the cutest thing in the world)?

Here's the deal, though. In our ward, not every child gets to speak. In fact, only 8 children get to give a talk, 8 get to read a scripture, and the rest of the 60 kids don't get to do anything except stand up and sing. It's awful. Especially since it always seems to be the same kids who get to participate every year. I hate it.

But, Audra got to be one of the special kids to say a talk. Of course, this is her second talk in the sacrament program and Claire has never gotten to do one, but nobody except moms cares about such unfairness.

Audra, as always, did a fabulous job. She was incredibly nervous, but once she is at the microphone, Audra actually has amazing speaking abilities.

Here is her talk:

I was asked to give a talk on how I choose the right in my family. In Joshua 24:15 it says, “Choose you this day whom ye will serve, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

In my family, we do many things to help us choose the Lord. For example, we try to follow the Savior by doing service in the community like helping with Feeding the 5,000 and other service projects. We try to be kind to each other. Every night we read scriptures together and pray as a family. Monday nights are reserved for Family Home Evening. Our favorite Family Home Evenings are when Dad has the treats because he always brings us donuts.

Sister Oscarson taught in general conference that, quote, “changing the world begins with strengthening your own family.” End of quote.

Even though I am only 10, I can do my part to strengthen my family by choosing the right. I choose the right by doing my chores, being kind to my sisters, reading the scriptures, saying personal prayers, and fasting.

In the Book of Mormon, Nephi had many trials, but he always chose the right by following the Lord. The Lord commanded Nephi to build a boat. He had never built a boat before and his brothers laughed at him. But Nephi had faith, chose to follow the commandments of God, and he built a boat despite his brothers’ mocking. He said, “I will go and do the things with the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of men, except He shall prepare a way for them to accomplish the things which he commanded them.”

Sometimes choosing the right can be hard, like when my sisters steal my toys and instead of yelling at them, trying to patiently ask them to give my toys back. Or, when I am really tired and my mom asks me to unload the dishwasher but I don’t want to. But I know that being patient with my sisters and helping my mom are the right choices and will make our family stronger.


I would like to share my testimony that I know that if I choose the right it will make me happier and that choosing the right makes a good difference in my life. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and that Joseph Smith was a prophet. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

That is an outstanding talk! Nice work Audra! Having just finished my third primary program as primary president, I have to say that I can see the positives of only having a few of the kids have speaking parts. For me though, the chance for every child to have a part is more important than having more in-depth talks from the oldest kids who you can actually understand. I think we had about 70 parts in our program on Sunday and I'm sure the audience didn't understand all of them, but the Spirit was strong and it was a great program! We also sang 9-10 songs and got out right on time. I was so pleased that some of our less-actives participated and brought their families to watch. It was a special Sunday!