Through our 4H club, yesterday Audra and I had the opportunity to go downtown and work with a wonderful Catholic organization called "Christ In the City" to feed the homeless. It was truly a humbling experience.
Before we went to the park to do the service, the missionaries at the parish gave us an enlightening orientation, where I learned a lot about the homeless that I didn't know before:
-There are almost 12,000 homeless in Denver
- 56% are male, 44% female
-Reasons for homelessness: 14%- soaring rents, 18% drug addiction (I was floored- I often think the majority have drug addiction, and that is simply not true- MIND. BLOWN.), 23% mental illness, 48%- Family situation forced them out of their home. (numbers don't add up exactly as there is some overlapping of conditions)
- 56% are male, 44% female
-Reasons for homelessness: 14%- soaring rents, 18% drug addiction (I was floored- I often think the majority have drug addiction, and that is simply not true- MIND. BLOWN.), 23% mental illness, 48%- Family situation forced them out of their home. (numbers don't add up exactly as there is some overlapping of conditions)
WHAT? Half of the homeless are homeless because their home life SUCKS and they would rather be homeless than live with their abusive spouse or parents or whatever?!?!
Talk about a testimony builder for how important family relationships are! I am heartbroken that so many of our neighbors and friends, brothers and sisters, live in households that are unsafe.
-Average age of the homeless is 40
-They are regular people. They aren't invisible (even though they are), and are just going through a really rough time right now and need a little love and support.
-They are regular people. They aren't invisible (even though they are), and are just going through a really rough time right now and need a little love and support.
Anyway, it was a great experience. I'm glad Audra and I got to experience it together.
Audra was first in charge of handing out oranges, but we quickly ran out. So then she helped put the salad dressing on the salad.
About 300 people were fed! Whew! It was incredibly well organized, Christ in the City does a great job. There was a hair cutting table, finger nail painting, clothes to be handed out. a prayer group, football and frisbee- very well done. Of course, they have about 15 full time missionaries who spend all day every day being with and serving the homeless. It is simply beautiful!

No comments:
Post a Comment