Saturday, July 18, 2020

Map!

We have a super ugly hole above our fireplace. It is meant for a TV, back in the day when a TV needed a big, huge, ugly cut out above a fireplace to fit into (oh, a TV never needed that? Well, the 90s would disagree).

I saw on Etsy a great way to cover the ugly hole up while still allowing for the nice storage capacity for non-TV related items: A pull down map!

The problem: It cost about $400, and in looking at it I realized that I should be able to make it for much less.

I decided to experiment and have fun trying to figure it out.

I found a map I LOVED on Etsy and for $!0 bought the printing rights. I had it printed to the size we needed, then the girls helped me glue it to a pull down shade, stain the wood it would hang from, and then Ben and I hung it up.

It didn't turn out perfect- it doesn't roll up as nicely as I would like,

But, it cost about $120, so it saved us quite a bit- enough to be OK with the inconvenience of not rolling up as well as I would like.










The finished project- I LOVE it!!!


No comments: