It's official! I got the GT Facilitator position!
I know several people who work at TBE. It was extremely validating when I told them I got the job, and they said things like, "I told Katie they needed to hire you- you are exactly what TBE needs, someone who will speak up and fight for these kids and who loves the community." It's been 15 years since I have felt valued in any kind of professional situation, and most of my feedback involves whining and complaining, so to have positive feedback is quite, well, nice.
Anyway, the job is tricky since I know absolutely nothing about GT Education, and I don't have my teaching license. I will be hired as a long-term sub (I did get my substitute license). That will get me through until about Spring Break. During that time, I will work part-time and also get what's called a "Metro Certificate" which is a GT certificate I can get by taking 5 classes and doing a mentorship program. I am hopeful those credits (which are free because the district offers on-line classes) will double as credits for re-licensing. If it does, then getting re-licensed won't be a problem at all. If it doesn't, we have a problem. The principal fully understands everything- I have been very open about all of it, and we both decided, "let's jump in and see what happens." So, that is what we are doing.
This is not my dream job. My dream job would be working for a non-profit. However, this is a job that I can do and still be a mom first. I'll have all the same off time as the girls, it's part-time and I get to set the hours, though after they are set they need to be consistent. But that's great because I really want Fridays off since Ben has Fridays off. I figure I'm consecrating my job right now- sacrificing what I really want for the benefit of my family, which is my most important thing.
I did have to tell Camille that I would not bother her at school, and that TBE is HER school, not mine. She wants complete autonomy, and I fully plan to respect that. Thankfully, because I'll have my own office and I won't be in the classrooms, it shouldn't be difficult.
Here's to the two new Moose at TBE!

No comments:
Post a Comment