Audra is the most unassuming person you will meet. She loves being in the background, being the support role while others shine. The chorus in the school musicals was perfect for her- she got to help other people shine and not get any of the glory on herself. She doesn’t want or seek the limelight in any way.
Her speech:
Good afternoon. My name is Audra Marriott, and I am a senior at ThunderRidge High School. One of my favorite activities outside of school is band. I am a complete band kid and love to play the trumpet. Because of my love for music, I auditioned to be the section leader for high brass. I earned the role, and for this marching band season, I have enjoyed teaching and supporting my peers. I also represented ThunderRidge by marching in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with the Great American Marching Band, a band with students from all 50 states. I have also been Vice President of my 4H club, president of my youth group at church, and secretary for Tri-M, an extracurricular music club, at ThunderRidge.
While I love band, I also appreciate my opportunities to serve. I spent three weeks in the Dominican Republic this past summer helping build a school for Dominican children. Despite the long hours of hard work, I loved serving and learning more about the community and the people I served. I have also served as a camp counselor for teenage young women and served in the National Honor Society and our local 4H club. Throughout COVID-19, I tried to find ways to serve my neighbors- I sewed and donated dozens of fabric masks, played a short trumpet concert outside every night, organized a “teddy bear hunt” for young kids, and made sidewalk chalk games for kids to participate in. Even as a child, I loved helping others. At age 8 I baked many goodies to sell and hosted a bake sale to raise money for Syrian refugees. We raised over $250 to donate which was special.
I am incredibly honored to be nominated for this scholarship. Honestly, I don’t feel like I have done anything extraordinary. But I do believe everyone can make a difference, no matter how small, and it is an honor to be noticed for the small things I have tried to do to make a difference in the world.



No comments:
Post a Comment