Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Joan of Arc and The Fly Lady

I was reading a book the other day and it talked about how some children are more spirited than others. But, the author asserted, that is a wonderful thing because the world needs spirited people to accomplish great things in the world. He said that Joan of Arc was certainly a spirited child. 
Not surprisingly, I liked that thought. Claire is without a doubt her own person. She is spunky and energetic and assertive and curious about the world around her. Of course I am biased, but I think the author is right and that Claire has the perfect make up to do something fantastic in her life.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily make raising her any easier, but it does help to put things into perspective. I know, for example, that when she is a teenager she will never do anything just because the other kids are doing it- she will be able to stand up for herself. I know that because she stands up to me all the time! I know that she will gain her own testimony and not rely on mine because she is curious and will need to know the truth for herself. I know that because she is curious and must always find her own way.

I checked out a book called, "Raising Your Spirited Child." (what do you think of it, Jenny?) I haven't read it yet, but so far it describes Claire pretty well, although it appears she is on the "mildly spirited" side as opposed to the "extremely spirited" side which is nice.

Either way, she's going to make a great Joan of Arc in the future!


Then, completely switching gears, have any of you heard of The Fly Lady? I stumbled across THIS blog and I love how on the homepage she asks:

Are you living in CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome)?

Our house is not that messy- generally. I usually keep it mostly clean, and I'm usually not embarrassed to have people over. But, I think Ben would be more than happy if I put a little more effort into cleaning so I thought I would give it a try. I have only been doing it for 2 days, but I LOVE the babysteps, and I love having a sink that shines- it really does make a difference!
So I thought I would pass it on in case you were looking for some motivation- in an easy and friendly manner- to clean.
By posting this, I am now going to be held accountable- further motivation to continue with the baby steps!


2 comments:

ferfischer said...

I found the book less than useful, most of it seemed to be common sense, and also went over a lot of sensory/other type stuff that I already know WAY too much about (but might be something for you to look into, although seeing her, I doubt it). I found love and logic to be FAR more useful. And flylady, yes, I've done that before, works well - now I just muddle by. However, I saw that she is combined with the cozi calendar, i've heard good things about that!

lisapants said...

A friend of mine introduced me to FLYlady at Easter, and I've been getting to emails and trying to follow as best as I can. It has made a difference, and I really like it! I hope it continues to work for you.