When Claire was just learning to crawl I was in the kitchen working when I got an incredibly distinct impression to not walk but RUN to find her. I did so, and literally slid in order to be in time to save Claire from falling down the stairs. The gate had been left open, and she was just about to go down head first and land on our tile floor at the bottom. Thankfully, by listening to this prompting, we were able to avoid disaster.
Ben came home that night and I told him how I saved our daughter's life. He shrugged and said, "well, I feel like we save their lives everyday. They are like little lemmings- constantly about to kill themselves if we are not there watching and protecting them."
Countless stories can be told by us and by you of how we, as mothers and fathers, have saved our children from hurting themselves. That is our #1 job, and one I know none of us takes for granted and are very diligent in accomplishing.
This morning, however, I learned (again) an incredibly valuable lesson: There are times when our efforts are not enough and when divine intervention and miracles are needed. I realize miracles come in all different shapes and sizes and look different for different people. But, today we had a miracle that may have indeed saved our children's lives- and at the very least saved us some serious injuries.
In the morning when the girls wake up we let them play while Ben and I sleep for a little longer. They always play great and we have never had any problems.
In the midst of this morning's ritual, however, Ben and I suddenly heard a huge "BANG!" with Claire's earth-shattering cries after. Immediately Ben jumped out of bed, with me slightly behind him as I was too stunned to move as quickly as him.
The girls had decided to climb into a large wardrobe in Claire's room. They were taking out all the clothes and climbed to the top. This wardrobe is incredibly heavy- it is made of solid wood and is quite large. Well, you guessed it- the wardrobe fell on top of them.
To my eternal gratitude, a miracle occurred. As the wardrobe fell, the doors opened up in such a way as to catch in between the bars of the crib and the falling motion of the wardrobe stopped as the doors wedged themselves into the crib, causing it to not come crashing all the way to the ground and squishing the girls.
What is the likelihood that the doors would be open at the exact position to fit exactly in these small slats between the bars of the crib? Not very likely at all. I consider this a true miracle.
***UPDATE: In looking at the wardrobe, it looked to me as if it was too short to have had the length to be able to get the doors caught in the crib. I measured- I tipped (slowly) the wardrobe down to see if it was possible. It wasn't. Based on the height of the wardrobe, it should have gone crashing to the ground- with or without the doors open. It was at least 2 inches shy of reaching the crib. Yet somehow, it did. If that isn't a miracle, I don't know what is. I'm crying tears of gratitude right now just realizing how much my girls were protected this morning.***
There are several lessons to be learned here:
1. Fasten all furniture to the wall (we are actually going to be removing the wardrobe from the bedroom today and switching it out with a small dresser that does not have the weight or capacity to hurt our children)
2. Despite our best efforts, I need the Lord to be watching over my children as well as just me. This is not to say that we will be spared every injury and every accident- but it does mean that I need to put my trust in Him. I have prayed ever since Audra was born that my children would be watched over and protected by His hands. Today they were- of that I have no doubt.
3. Miracles are still alive and well. Sometimes the miracle is one of comfort and peace when things do not turn out the way we wish they would. I am grateful today that we had the "Miracle of the Doors." This is a day that I will not soon forget!
7 comments:
Whew! I bet your legs felt like jello for a long time after that! I hate those close calls--I keep imagining what COULD have happened (I know, I should appreciate what didn't happen). I caught Jonas about to dive down our stairs once too. It was so scary and I still think about it and shudder. I'm glad things turned out okay. I was afraid the story might not have a happy ending!
Wow! Thanks for sharing that Christina. I haven't had any miracles quite as stunning as that one, but we have had several small ones. I'm so glad everything is ok.
Wow. Umm. Wow.
Off topic, but that is the most adorable picture E-VER.
Wow! First of all, I am SO happy that you got very lucky to have only a "close call" rather than a direct hit! I have different opinions, of course, about why these things happen, as we did have a direct hit, but were lucky enough to have her survive. But, I know exactly how scared you must have been, and how many tears must have been shed that day. Now, take everyone out for ice cream and spoil them rotten for a day. (Also, a trip to IKEA for new furniture isn't a bad idea either - that's our plan for christmas gifts, bedroom furniture!)
My heart stopped when I read your story. A true miracle. I am so glad your precious and beautiful girls are ok. I am grateful for those small miracles that happen on an almost daily basis at my house.
And I agree with Danielle, that is one adorable picture of your girls.
Sheesh! Scary! I'm glad everything worked out alright. Being a parent is scary. No wonder we get gray hair. And yes, that is an adorable picture of your girls.
So glad they were safe!
Post a Comment