Monday, August 31, 2015

Sense of Humor

So I took Camille to see a Speech Therapist to be evaluated at the recommendation of her pediatrician. Turns out, she recommended speech therapy. No big deal, except one thing:

It is, of course, run through the school district.

Heavenly Father must have a great sense of humor. After all that I have done to release myself from the tentacles of this district, I am pulled back in. Obviously, I will do everything that I need to do to get Camille the help that she needs, even if it means going back to the district I hate. We may get some free pre-school out of it, so it won't be all bad.

I did find out some disturbing news, though. The district (in order to save money) is starting a new program where they put all of the Special Needs kids in the same classroom and there is little to no integration. They have greatly reduced the number of PERA's and Teacher Aides. So, even though Camille only needs a little bit of speech help, she may be put in a class with severely disabled students and no typical peers. It is frustrating simply from the standpoint that parents are (rightly) complaining that whether their kid needs a little help  or a lot, they simply aren't getting it. I am not sure if any of this is even legal, so I need to go to lots of meetings to sort everything out. I feel like I need to document how the district handles Camille and if she gets the help she needs or not.

Ironically, the therapist said, "Oh, it's good that you are in this county. They are generally really good about servicing Special Needs kids." Apparently, that is no longer the case. But I will let you know.

2 comments:

ferfischer said...

I don't think you have to enroll to get the help. Just go to the school at the time you need and do it then. I'm pretty sure - but if you remind me I can ask around for you. Also, I am NOT AT ALL surprised - it has happened that way here forever - but I am on the severe needs side, not the typical side - although some integration would be nice.

ferfischer said...

ALSO I doubt it is legal... but people need to sue and that's $$$