Monday, December 14, 2015

Holy Donations, Batman!

Last year in an effort to get my kiddos involved in actually DOING something instead of just donating items, I organized a used clothing/toys/household items drive for the Spanish Ward downtown that has extreme poverty (yes, I realize the irony that by not wanting my kids to just donate, we organized a donation drive).

I wasn't going to do it this year. It's not that it is a ton of work, it's just that it is a lot of STUFF. I wasn't feeling it this year.

But, as I mentioned in an earlier post, it kind-of just happened. So I started advertising.

And the donations came. And came and came and came.

First it filled our guest room. Then the hallway, then the basement. Here's the proof:

I was very worried that we wouldn't have enough help transporting the items downtown. I had three trucks lined up,but I wasn't sure if it would be enough. But, I also know that somehow when people try to do good, miracles just seem to happen. Things that shouldn't fit seem to magically shrink and everything just seems to work out. So for one of the first times in my life, I didn't stress over it- I just trusted that it would be OK.


About 13 families came. We loaded up the cars, and two trucks (one bailed) and headed down. Everything fit perfectly. In fact, we didn't even load up anything in my car.

Once again, it was incredibly awesome. I can't possibly see how all of this will be given away, but they insist there are so many needs it won't be a problem.

They asked us to please continue to this. They were so extremely grateful.

Both Ben and I, however, are ready to turn it back over to the ward to organize. Our scout program used to do it every year, and then I started it once they stopped. But, I think I'm going to contact the Bishop to see if either the Scouts or the youth groups or some other auxiliary will organize it in the future. It's just hard to house so much stuff in our house. We need an empty third car garage or something.

Anyway, after we had unloaded all of our stuff- and it literally filled the entire gym- THREE more trucks pulled up filled with items! We had no idea what to do with all this more stuff, so we decided to leave their items on the stage, and then tomorrow when the people come to take the items they can replenish the tables with the items on the stage.

Crazy awesome, in the best way.



The kids were in charge of the toys. They did a great job, but they annoyed Audra and Claire a bit by just playing with the toys and messing up organization that Audra and Claire had done.

I told all the girls how grateful I was for how great they helped, and both Audra and Claire immediately informed me that Camille just played and didn't really help.


Claire cried because she wasn't in the above picture, so I got one with just the two of us.

SO.MUCH.STUFF.

No comments: