Friday, April 8, 2016

4H Strikes Again

Much to Ben's great horror, I had our 4H cooking group come over tonight. Each person (five total) made an item that they could take to fair- for four of them that meant a no bake cookie or bar (side note: If you have an easy and delicious no bake cookie or bar recipe, please send it my way. It's very difficult to find recipes besides the typical pb/cocoa/oatmeal cookie), for one of them that meant a quick bread.

Then we taste tested and "judged" each item. We are still at the beginning of learning how to cook/bake, but I wanted them to get an idea of what the judges will be looking at for fair.

It went really well, although I have sweets overload!


HERE is where I got the girls recipes- No Bake Haystacks, and Butterscotch Rice Krispy Surprise.

Camille cried sad crocodile tears throughout the night. If you look closely, there is a cookie missing off of Claire's wax paper. Camille had a very suspicious chocolate mouth, so I asked her if she ate the cookie. I said, "Don't lie to me- did you eat the cookie?" and she said, "I want to lie to you," and then ran to the bathroom to wash her face. So, she was banned from eating all the other desserts when everybody came over which led to a very unhappy Camille.

3 comments:

Shells said...

Is the category just no bake, for instance, could you do cool popcorn balls or caramels or almond roca or peanut brittle? Those were a few that came to mind.

Christina said...

Hmm...I'll have to look into those- great ideas!

Danielle said...

Yes, candy or fudge should count as "no bake" also, because it's the same melting-on-stove process as making no-bake cookies. Truffles might be another fun and easy thing to make. The boys' kindergarten teacher does it every year (alone) with her class at Christmas time, so it can't be that challenging. ;)
Also, the Easter bird nests my mom likes to make come to mind. It is just melting a bag of chocolate chips and mixing them with enough coconut to give them structure, and a little vanilla, then you shape them into nests and add jelly beans to the top. You could totally modify this with white chocolate and food coloring to turn them into something else...just a little imagination.