Thursday, April 7, 2016

Shakespeare and Unit Studies

Today we came home from the library and Audra asked, "Can we please read Shakespeare, Mommy?"

Claire and Audra are loving Shakespeare! I got some books from the library written by Bruce Coville- adaptations of Shakespeare made for kids. The girls are obsessed over them (except Camille- she runs to the other room and grabs a picture book whenever Shakespeare makes his rounds). It's been a lot of fun having them say things like, "I was the only person in my Options class who knew about Hamlet," and such.



It's not like we are doing anything all that great, I just randomly happened to get a Shakespeare book and the girls enjoyed it, so we're going with it. Why not?

Which brings me to our next exciting step in homeschooling...unit studies! As mentioned earlier, I have been thinking about switching our curriculum up next year. Even though I love Sonlight, I want something a little more flexible where I can more easily incorporate things the girls are interested in. After researching, I came across a program called Konos. It is a unit based curriculum similar to Sonlight in that there are a lot of read-alouds (our favorite part of homeschooling), but it is structured by units with lots of hands-on activities. Because of the flexibility, I can add some of my own unit studies without it messing up the school year. The Konos book (which I happened to already own because somebody gave it to me a couple years ago- nice!) is set up in such a way to last for 2-3 years, and easily works with multiple ages, so I am very hopeful this will be a nice fit for us. Plus it is super cheap- it is designed to give you the opportunity to get almost all of your books from the library and not have to purchase them all like I do with Sonlight. I'm very excited about this change!

We will definitely be doing a Shakespeare unit!

No comments: