Monday, December 12, 2016

Disneyland, Part IV

On our last day at the parks, we headed to California Adventure. Neither Ben or I had ever been, so we all got to experience it for the first time together. We got there an hour early, and anxiously awaited our day.

For the first two hours, it felt like we had the park to ourselves- it was very empty, and so freakin' awesome! I looked at the crowd calendar for while we were there, and apparently this week was a level 2 of 4 (worst) for crowds, meaning it wasn't too bad. At Disneyland, it sure felt bad! I can't believe that was NOT too crowded! There's no way I could possibly stand going on a super crowded day. But at California Adventure, it felt normal. At least at the beginning- it got more and more crowded as the day went on.

Anyway, there were zero lines for the first hour or two- we just hopped from ride to ride in Carsland and A Bug's Life. It was wonderful.






It was good because these rides were perfect for Camille. She was in heaven having rides that were more suited for her age.










Camille's eyes lit up like the 4th of July when she saw Sophia- it was pretty sweet.


Anna really liked Audra's braid:



Ben really wanted a "cone" lunch from Carsland. He got the chili cone, I got the mac and cheese cone-it was actually really tasty.


The Tower of Terror was NOT a kids ride for Camille, or for me. Audra and Claire were brave, but didn't like it. Ben loved it, but even though we had a switch pass so he and the girls could go again, they decided not to use it. Too bad, since it is being torn down next month.


I actually didn't love California Adventures. Ben said it best- it was more like a regular amusement park then DISNEY! A lot of the rides were rides we could find here at Elitch's. But, it had one thing that Disneyland did not: FROZEN! We went to the show, and it was incredible. I mean, really, absolutely incredible- just as good as the Broadway shows we have gone to seen. If this was the only thing we did at CA, this would have made it worth it. Definitely the best part of the day, in my opinion (Camille may have preferred the Disney Jr. show, but either way it was great).




Because it was our last night, I wanted to stay late with Audra and Claire. Ben took Camille home because she was exhausted. We were planning to go to World of Color which started at 9:45. But, over an hour early, people were already lining up and crowding in. Even though we had tickets, we decided the crowds weren't worth it, so I told them I would buy them a hot chocolate instead. On our way out of the park, we ran into Minnie Mouse. That was pretty awesome- except that Camille wasn't there, and she LOVES Minnie Mouse. When she saw this picture she burst into tears.


And just like that, our trip was over. It's crazy how you can work for months to get ready for a trip, and in the blink of an eye it is gone.

We got home and Ben said, "I want to do that again!" and all I can think is, "I need at least 5 years to recuperate!" This trip was so incredibly wonderful, and we made tons of memories. But I was so sore from all the walking (we averaged over 20,000 steps a day, plus all day standing), and it was a very draining trip- go, go, go all the time. I would't have done it any other way, but it was very different from a beach vacation- and I could use one or two of those right about now!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

I actually really like California Adventure - Disneyland felt a little outdated to me. But, I have boys who don't really love rides, so we were there for atmosphere more than rides, and I could seriously LIVE in Cars Land, but I have boys and I've seen Cars a zillion times. :) I was blown away by it. You're right, though, that the rides aren't super awesome, though my kids love that Mater's Tow Truck Jamboree ride.
I could totally do Disneyland every year, especially while the kids are little, but man it's expensive. We are waiting until Star Wars land opens in 2018 to go back.
I'm glad you guys had a great trip! I know you were a little trepidacious about doing the whole Disney thing.

Mandy said...

Looks like so much fun! I'm glad you had such a great time!

ferfischer said...

I think we are going to have to do a trip like this soon but the logistics make my head spin. I think we can get a wish trip, so it will be that, I think. The kids are at the right age, I think. In the meantime, we are doing great wolf lodge in January, so we'll see how that goes!

Stephanie said...

Anna and Elsa were not at Disneyland? Or, just not the Frozen show? The Frozen show wasn't at CA Adventure when we were there; it was just Disney Junior Live. I thought that Radiator Springs was the best ride in both parks and am with Danielle; loved Cars Land. However, it was worth the try and now next time you know you could spend all your time in Disneyland.

Christina said...

Steph- we didn't see them at Disneyland, but it's possible they were there. We waited in line at this one place where they are all day every day at DCA.

I didn't hate DCA, I just felt like they were rides we could ride anywhere- except Carsland. That was pretty cool, it just didn't quite live up to what Disney had to offer in my opinion. No biggie, I'm still glad we went. I wouldn't change anything.