Friday, December 2, 2016

Homeschool Kids Holiday Sale

For one of my co-ops this year,  hosted a Homeschool Kids Holiday Sale. The idea stems from Ameritowne, which is an awesome program for 4th graders across the country where they learn about economics, business, and a whole ton of other things. We just did the business part of the program: kids got to make a craft and sale them.

We have been planning this for a few months. As soon as I mentioned this to Claire, she immediately knew she wanted to do The Lorax. Audra is into Harry Potter, so I suggested to her that she do magic wands.

All week the girls have been working on their projects.



I was really nervous about the sale- mostly because I wanted everybody who participated to feel successful. I wanted everybody to sale at least some of their items.

Audra priced her items at $1. Claire, whose cost for materials were much higher than Audra's, priced hers at $2.

There were 17 kids who participated. Each kid made a craft, created a poster, and a commercial to present to everyone. Audra and Claire were the only ones who really did a commercial and had a prepared statement, and they did great. I love that they get so many opportunities to speak publicly. Even though they get nervous, they always do a fabulous job.


I gave each of my girls $10, and then Audra and Claire could spend their profits as well, after paying me back for the cost of supplies. Camille didn't do a craft, but she still had fun shopping.

The sale turned out awesome! Audra sold all of her wands, and Claire sold 11 of her 16 Lorax's. At $2, they weren't selling very well, so she lowered the price to $1 and they started selling like hot cakes. Lesson learned!

Everyone who participated sold a lot/most/all of their product, and all the kids seemed to have a great time. I'm so glad it went well! It was so fun!








No comments: