Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The Rock

I am organizing summer hikes again, which is a ton of fun. It gets me out of the house, which I need, and it gets the kids out in nature, which is one of my biggest goals for this summer. I really want the kids to just be outside exploring, getting dirty, and coming home with scrapes and bruises.

Today we did The Rock. It's a pretty short but steep hike that goes to the top of a mountain with great overlooks of Castle Rock (it reminds me of the Y for you BYU peeps). From the top, you can then take a rock climbing route to the top of a huge rock with a star and a flag on top.





To get to the very tip top, you have to do some pretty serious rock climbing. It is relatively dangerous, but of course all three of my kids started going up and refused to come down when I told them they couldn't go up. There was one mom up there helping the kids, and I quickly realized one mom couldn't handle all the dangers of the rock with the kids alone, so I started climbing up to help out. I didn't want to go all the way to the top. All the kids made it, but the last part was quite scary, and I didn't have anybody to help carry me over the danger. But, then Claire came over and said, "Mom, please come up! We want to show you the star!"

Well, how could I turn that down? I had no choice. So I went up.



It was a lot of fun- the girls loved it. We came home very tired! We should definitely all sleep well tonight.

No comments: