Friday, January 6, 2012

Ice Castles: A Review

Today we went up to the Silverthorne Ice Castles. You can find the important info about it HERE.

We had the best time! It was a little bit of a drive, but it was great. Admittedly, when we first got there  I thought, "we drove all the way here for this?" The outside was a bit of a disappointment. BUT, when we went inside it really was unbelievable.

Apparently this is a traveling exhibit. Last year it was in Park City, and this year it is here. I would highly recommend it, but I would have done a couple of things differently. It really is quite a drive- about 3 hours total. Once there, it takes between 45 minutes to an hour to see. Of course, you can stay as long as you want, but that's how long we stayed. Claire got cold or we may have stayed longer. At night, they light the ice castles up which would have been beautiful to see.  If we did the trip over, I wish we had left later- perhaps around 3 or 3:30 PM, drove to Silverthorne and had dinner there, and then gone to see the ice castles and see them in the dark. I also wish we knew other things to do there (shopping at the outlets was not an option for me- YUCK with small kids) and we would have stayed until dark to see them at night.

This really was an experience to remember. I am glad we went up. It is open until April, so I HIGHLY recommend going.

Plus, it was a GREAT place for photos, as you will now see:



 Look at this smile on Claire's face- it was priceless:




 This is in one of the "tunnels" they had- it was my favorite part. 

  Here is Ben helping Claire put her gloves back on:

 Audra kept saying she wanted to see a king, queen, and a princess. So here's the king and queen, and two princesses:
On the way home the girls were laughing in the back of the car and I just thought to myself, "We have a good life. It is messy and chaotic and loud, but it is good."

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Beautiful! I've never seen anything like that. It makes me cold just looking at your pics though. :)