Thursday, December 15, 2016

Holiday Baking- Check!

We just finished an entire day of baking- whew! 19,000 steps almost all in my small kitchen today. That's pretty good, huh?

For the past few years I have really simplified baking- the last couple of years I just did some different breads.

This year, though, I have been craving the comforts of my childhood. Baking lots of different recipes and delivering ridiculous amounts of goodie plates to friends and neighbors.

In church somebody said that in order to simplify the Christmas season we should only do things that we enjoy, and if we don't enjoy it- don't do it. I completely agree. And, I love baking at Christmas time. So, this year I decided to go all out again like I used to do- like my sisters, mom, and I used to do. It was nice to pull out some of our old favorite recipes, recipes I haven't made since I was a teenager- peanut butter balls, English toffee, Monster cookies, pistachio nut bread, and more- so many more recipes!

But, unlike my teenage years, I had to worry about allergies. I had to make nut free, chocolate free (aren't you glad you aren't allergic to chocolate?), and gluten free plates.  Good thing we had lots of different treats to choose from.


In a few years, I need these girls to be able to do all the baking themselves. They are on their way:






Yes, that's Camille using a knife. She was so excited to cut the cherries, I had to let her try. And she did a great job- perhaps she'll be a great chef someday:


Fudge, Rick Krispy treats, sugar cookies, molasses cookies, Muddy Buddy Chex Mix, and candy cane white chocolate bark.



Who said baking all day makes a mess? When Ben walked through the door, I said, "Just be grateful you married a domestic goddess, and forget about the rest!"


2 comments:

Mandy said...

Yum! Wish I lived closer!

Christina said...

My baking is totally worth moving across the country for;)