Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Staving Off Boredom

I feel like we have done a pretty good job of figuring out things to do to keep entertained. Of course, we are still doing our school routine. We just finished reading The Little Princess so this afternoon the girls watched the 1995 movie (the book is SO MUCH better!).

We have also started getting lunch from DCSD (honestly, this gives us something to look forward to- that's why we do it), and then we head over to Hudson Gardens pretty much every day. It's so wonderful because nobody goes there- woohoo! We have the whole gardens to ourselves.

Today the girls brought their pogo stick and did all kinds of tricks including going up and down hills! I was impressed.



Then, tonight we did karaoke- which was also a blast! We may need to do karaoke at least once a week!


I am also trying to call one person I haven't talked to in forever every day. I have been calling old roommates, old friends- that sort of thing. That has been nice.

And, I am making more masks. The CDC has hinted that they may suggest everyone wear a mask whenever they are outside. If that happens, I'm sure I'll be making masks non-stop.

Ben continues to work in the basement. Thankfully, he has a pretty decent set up to get his work done undisturbed downstairs. We know we are incredibly blessed that he still has a job.

We are hoping that on May 1st we will be allowed to go outside and begin to resume some semblance of normalcy. I don't know if we will be so lucky, but that's what we are praying for.

Some days are harder than others. It can be hard to get up in the morning, and there are definitely moments of depression when the reality of what is happening to our world sinks in. I have friends who have lost their jobs and are worried about paying their basic bills. We will likely have at least one vacancy in our rentals as tenants look for cheaper places. It is all so very, very heavy.

But, there are a lot of happy moments as well. Last night Claire had a game planned for FHE and I was literally crying because I was laughing so hard. Tonight, karaoke was a blast.

We can't change what is happening, but I feel like- at least for now- we are still holding pretty strong and doing our best to stay positive and not fall into depression and despair. Getting outside every day definitely helps.

I know I am definitely looking forward to General Conference and hearing the words of our church leaders!

No comments: