I've been looking at some pictures from the floods. They are devastating. Horrific. Tragic beyond description.
This picture struck me. There were several pictures of him with his now destroyed home with all of his now destroyed belongings, but this one tears at my heart. It's the realness of this image- the fear, anxiety, and hopelessness that an event of this magnitude brings to a person who has lost everything. You see it in his eyes.
I imagine it would be easy to lose hope. I imagine it would be easy to feel like giving up.
I have no idea what these people who have lost everything are going through, but in his eyes I can see a glimpse.
But then I remember: This is America. And in America, we help each other. When somebody is down and out, we are there to help each other.
The man in the picture is not alone- somebody is there to give him a helping hand.
That's what we do in this country. We look out for each other. Why? Because we are good people who love and care for others- even complete strangers.
At this very moment there are normal, average people risking their lives to rescue normal, average people who have been stranded.
At this very moment there are normal, average people feeding normal, average people who are now living in shelters because their homes are destroyed.
At this very moment there are normal, average people who are broken. Who are scared. Who are crying for help.
And there are normal, average people who are willing to give that help.
The rains continue as I type this. The flood waters continue to rise. The fear of losing everything has become a reality for thousands of people.
And now it is time for us, as Americans, to step up and help. Because that's what we do. That's what normal, average Americans do when they see another normal, average American struggling.
Buckle up those bootstraps- it's time to get out and help!

No comments:
Post a Comment