Thursday, September 12, 2013

Flooding of Biblical Proportions

I believe it was Tuesday that the rains started.

And today they kept coming, And coming. And coming.

Ben sent me the following e-mail from work today:

"I can’t believe I forgot to tell you this when I was on the phone with you, but the Elders Quorum (men's groups at church) contacted me and told me that our family needs to meet at the stake center tonight.  He said something about an ark."

Then on the way home from work as Ben listened to NPR it said that our rains were of "Biblical proportions." I would disagree with that assessment, but we might be close.

Thankfully we are safe in our neck of the woods. Some people are not so lucky, as the rains have literally washed out roads and caused a mudslide to collapse on a house. Three people have died so far.

It's not like it's anything worse than Seattle rain. In fact, today was a perfect Seattle day- which I loved. But I guess Colorado just isn't prepared for Seattle rain. Another huge problem is that the forest fires earlier in the summer left the mountains bare and vulnerable to flooding.

The forecast calls for another day of rain, so it might get worse before it gets better.

A friend who lives on the other end of town said her open space started flooding. We had a break in the rain so I thought it would be fun to go for a walk to see if our open space was also flooding. The open space is just at the end of the street.

 This raging river/stream is always bone dry. It almost never has water. We walk this path almost every day, and this is by far the most water I have ever seen in it.
 At one point water came over the bridge as evidenced by the moss wrapped around the pole.
 So, there you have it. We are fine and shouldn't have any problems, but unfortunately others are not so lucky. So keep Colorado in your prayers- once again we need them.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

This is what you get for wishing for puddles. ;)

Mandy said...

I'm glad you guys are okay. After watching the news I have been wondering. :)

Christina said...

For the record, I asked for puddles- not lakes!