Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A Change For The...Better?

By far, the biggest news of the week is that we finally upgraded to this:

For those of you that know us well, you should know that this is a semi-big deal. We have faithfully used our flip phones (the ones "Specially designed for the novice and elderly") until about 4 days ago. We have not had texting or data, and believe it or not: We still were able to function in society! I know, I know- you are surprised.

The thing is, it was very hard to justify the increased monthly payment to get a Smart Phone- no matter how hard people tried to tell us it was worth it for the convenience. Plus, I have a lot of friends who are constantly tied to their phones- it's like they feel like they have to be attached to their phone 24/7 and can't enjoy a meal at a restaurant or a GNO without texting the entire time. I don't want to be like that! I like that my phone sometimes gets forgotten in my pocket for 3 days at a time and I don't even notice (my mom, however, does not like that I do this). So for those reasons we have been slow to change.

But then A T & T came out with a phenomenal new plan. For only $10 a month more, we get unlimited talk, text, and 1 GB of data to share. I can handle $10 more a month! Ben had been researching the different carriers and plans, and he actually discovered this plan and we signed up for it the day BEFORE AT & T started advertising the plan. Ben is good like that!

I went on Craigslist and found an IPhone 4 for $140 (the plan doesn't come with a phone- which is fine by me). My mom had given us her old Smartphone so Ben could use that one for free (Thanks, Mom!). So in the end, it was a cheap way for us to start out on our Smartphone lives. I am certain we will never go back (another reason we were hesitant to change: Once we got them, we knew there was no going back).

Here are some pictures I have taken with the Smartphone:

 Above: We went to my favorite ice-cream  place on the planet, MaGill's, to celebrate the girls' reading success. They completed a reading program at the library, but we turned them in too late for them to get the library prize, so we took them to ice-cream instead.

Below: This is Camille enjoying some Nutella.
You will notice that my IPhone 4 is not taking great pictures. Is it something I did? Or, do you think it is the case? I did buy an Otter Case (the one that makes my IPhone indestructible- I have kids, it seemed like a smart idea), and I wonder if that makes the pictures turn out fuzzy? Or, are IPhone pictures just not very good?

Also, any good, free kid Apps that I just need to get? Actually, I don't even mind paying for an app for the kids if it is educational and will truly keep the kids entertained. Let me know what you guys have all figured out!

See, one good thing about being so late to jump on the Smartphone bandwagon is that I get to learn from all of you!

7 comments:

Danielle said...

It isn't taking great pictures because at this point (sorry) it is old technology. That phone came out about 4 years ago. Very low-res pics, very few megapixels. Jason has a 4 (I don't invest much in his technology because he tends to lose or break it) and it is fine if you are outdoors and don't need very high resolution, but indoors is terrible. The newer phones are better. The main reason I have a smartphone is for the camera - as such, I stay current. If it really is going to replace my point-click camera, it better be as good.
I agree with you, though, on entering the world of smartphones. It does tend to create a nervous tick in people. On the other hand, I actually like being entertained while waiting in long lines, etc. :)

Christina said...

I figured it was the camera- and that's fine. I don't need it to replace my point and click camera quite yet. Perhaps on my next phone. I didn't want to spend a ton on my first phone- we're still in the "figuring it out" stage. In about 3 years I will buy the IPhone 5, and then that will be four years too old:)

Kristin said...

Ha! I finally upgraded to a smartphone and texting too - about a week before you did. I was also hesitant because I didn't want to be tied to it. It had been very convenient so far and I just hope I can maintain my detachment from it! ;)

Danielle said...

I actually don't and have never used an iPhone. I compared all the different phones when I got my most recent one and actually (very much against popular opinion) went with a Windows phone (Nokia 1020) because it had the best camera on the market. It is, in effect, a very high-powered point-click camera inside a phone. The iphones actually do better with video than cameras - droids even have better photo quality. I like the iPhone interface the best, though. Well, they all have pros and cons (I've used all three interfaces either myself or playing with Jason's phone). I really like how my phone calendar syncs with my computer calendar (I have windows 8 on my laptop) and so I get all the notifications all over the place keeping me very on top of things.
And I once got stuck in our elevator and had I not had my smartphone so I could look up property management on the web, etc., I would have been stuck in the elevator, with all three kids, for a very long time potentially. :) It IS useful.

Danielle said...

PS - my kids love this free game called Marine Missions. Also zoo train, a bug one by the same company, monkey sunshine has a couple good games (all preschool level). Sadly, when you get more up to Nathan's age group, the kids have it figured out when learning is involved and they don't want those games as much. Angry birds (all of them) are loved around here, and my kids love Bad Piggies, which requires some thought about physics. But frankly, my kids only play the iPad. We do not let them have technology in cars or restaurants. I refuse to have zombie children who are incapable of behaving without a device in public. Just my opinion.

Mandy said...

I have a love/hate relationship with these phones. I don't have one but Bryce does. I love the convenience when we are in the car and need to look something up, or I forget to bring my camera to something. But, I hate how connected we are. It drives me crazy when Bryce and I are out somewhere, like dinner, and he gets on his phone and checks sports scores or something. I am just as guilty. We are both trying to stop.

Luckily we aren't into texting. At least not yet! Texting drives me crazy! My nieces can't even play a board game without texting the whole time. I'm sure at some point we will start and won't be able to live without it (just like I thought when I didn't want a cell phone years ago).

We don't have any games on his phone but we do have kid's games on the IPad. I am not technical so I'm not sure if those would work on your phone??

Christina said...

I will have to try Marine Missions.

We are trying hard not to become too attached to it. It is addicting, though, but there need to be rules for sure!

Mandy- are the games on the IPad an App? If they are, then they should work on the IPhone.