Friday, October 3, 2014

Memories of Grandma

One of my grandma's concerns was wondering if anybody would remember her after she died.

I suppose that is a legitimate concern- I think a lot of people fear that. However, with the lives that my grandmother touched, I don't see how she could possibly ever be forgotten.

I certainly want my kids to know about both of their grandma's. So, I thought I would post a few memories that I have of her so that my kids can read about her, and pass these stories on to their kids.

Grandma was a go-getter. She was a do-er. She was spunky and always laughing. She wanted to DO stuff and LIVE life.

Right after we were married, Ben and I drove up to Blackfoot and visited my grandparents for a couple of days. When they heard that Ben had never been to Yellowstone, my grandparents immediately planned a day trip to take Ben to see Old Faithful. The next day, we went. That was standard for Grandma- she loved Yellowstone, and if someone hadn't been there, she figured there was no time like the present to go- so why not?




Some other memories of Grandma:

-Turkey Foot. She LOVED Turkey Foot, and would stay up late playing it (like we did the night before we went to Yellowstone- she had way more energy than both Ben and me!)
-She laughed a lot.
-I will never forget when I visited her during the Clinton scandal. I was very surprised when she said, "I don't care what he does in the bedroom, that doesn't determine whether or not he's a good president!" She was highly upset about that, and it very much surprised me.
-Fishing! She always took us fishing- and always sang "Fishy, fishy, in the brook- bite upon Christina's hook"
-She was a gourmet cook. I always said that she can turn tuna fish sandwiches into a gourmet meal- and she could
-She was an excellent seamstress. I have a couple of quilts from her that I love. Also, she taught me to crochet. I crocheted a pink scarf and gave it to her one year for Christmas because she taught me how.
-She always drove. Always. It wasn't until I was much older that I learned that Grandpa even knew how to drive.
-She had a great memory. She always knew what was going on with everybody in the family, and when I called her she would catch me up.
-Bowling. Bowling. Bowling. She LOVED bowling!
-She also loved watching golf on TV. That one I didn't understand- I still don't.
-She and Grandpa would often show up at our house in Seattle unannounced. As happy as we always were to see Grandma and Grandpa, the house often was not in a condition to welcome guests. This caused my mother great anxiety, but Grandma and Grandpa really didn't care.
-I remember grandma being very non-judgmental. I am sure she had opinions, but she seemed to keep those opinions to herself. 
-She worked for 20 years at JCPenny, and she often talked about her work experience. She loved her time at "Penny's"

There are many other things, of course. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, I didn't know her as well as I wish. But, she will be remembered!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Great list. My only question is, how did you get a COUPLE of quilts from her? ;) You are right, there is no doubt that she will be remembered.

Shells said...

I think she must have stolen mine, since I don't have one!!! I really don't have one, but I am completely teasing you. Enjoy the quilts. :)

Christina said...

I got a basic blue quilt from her, I think when I graduated from high school. I think that mom and dad were visiting her and came back with the quilt- maybe mom used her Toy Story quilt hints on her, I can't quite remember.

I got a Christmas quilt top from her because, well, I begged. And begged. I turned it into a duvet cover, but I think I am going to take out the duvet seams and make a quilt with it instead.