Tuesday, June 26, 2018

A Sewing Mistake

Anybody who knows Audra knows that she is the most obedient child on the planet. I'm totally serious- she was born with the gift of obedience. As a toddler, I learned to say things like, "Don't throw food on the floor- it's a rule!" and she would never throw food on the floor again.

But there is exactly one area in which she is not obedient. When she sews, she always has her fingers close to the needle, and I constantly tell her to move her fingers back. No joke, I tell her to move her fingers roughly 27 times every time she sews.

Well, today she learned her lesson the very hard, and very disgusting, and very painful way.

Yup, she sewed right through her finger. All the way through. I had to pull her finger back out.

It was awful.

Somehow, though, this girl proved once again how incredible she is. She didn't freak out (even when one of the other girls sewing passed out), she barely cried, she was as brave as brave can be. I can't say as much about her mother. This is one of my worst nightmares. I really had to do everything I could to be calm and collected for her.

I texted a friend who came and picked up Claire and Camille while I rushed Audra to Urgent Care.

They cleaned her up, cut off a little piece of nail that was sticking up, and put on a Band-Aid.

It will take about 6 months for her nail to fully heal, but it won't hurt for that long. In fact, she really isn't in very much pain right now at all.

Our first Urgent Care visit is over. Now I know where to go and what to do. It could have been much, much worse. But, seriously, I NEVER in a million years thought our first Urgent Care visit would be due to 4H.

When she thought about the injury she started to feel woosy.


 Before the incident:


There is one bonus: My mother did the same thing years ago, so now Audra and Grandma are finger stitching twins.

The doctor never asked her, but I was hoping that Audra could say, "I don't need stitches because I already sewed my finger," but the opportunity never came up.

No comments: