Friday, June 22, 2018

Drama Club!

I looked and looked for a drama camp for my kids. There were plenty of drama camps.

And all of them cost a minimum of $250 for two hours a day for 5 days.

I even looked at the camps in the poorer areas of Denver. Didn't matter- still $250.

I don't know about you, but I simply can not justify spending $500 for 10 hours  just so my girls can stand on a stage.

So, once again, I did what any insane homeschooling mom with absolutely zero drama experience would do: I did my own drama camp.

I hand picked what kids I wanted in my club- kids I knew wouldn't cause problems, could memorize, would have fun and be positive, and would get along with my girls.

I was a little nervous, as I always am with these things. Thankfully, a woman from church happened to have a ton of Aesop Fables scripts that she gave me. I decided those would be perfect. I spent hours picking out which ones to use- I wanted everybody to have an equal number of parts and such.

On Monday we started, we met for two hours each day, and then tonight they performed.

It was SO. MUCH. FUN! It could not have gone any better- the kids really did get along perfectly, I am confident everybody felt like they had their fair share of parts, they loved getting their costumes ready (I am very proud of Audra's iguana costume and Claire's mouse/monkey costume).

We were even able to get the little kids involved in 2 of the 4 plays as we needed some animal "extras." All week Camille was so excited for Friday, which is when the littles got to come learn their parts.

We met in the HUGE backyard of some of the kids, and we got a huge Subway sub sandwich and everybody brought a side or dessert, and after the show we had a nice little pot luck.

The weather turned fierce and it ended up being a bit windy, but we were worried thunderstorms would come, but thankfully they didn't. Whew!

We started each day with about an hour of drama games that I found on-line. We met at a park each day, which was perfect.





Then, the performance. I was so proud of how well they did! They said they want to do it again next summer, but they want a harder script.






Ben says that Claire wins "Best Actress." She really went all in the for the Country Mouse.




The phthon:




My favorite picture:







No comments: