Audra had to have some teeth pulled. She has a lot of extra teeth. One of them is on the roof of her mouth and can't be operated on, but she had to have other teeth pulled because they are blocking her permanent teeth from coming in.
Anyway, that surgery was today. I made Ben take the day off of work to watch the other kids and Audra and I headed off.
She did pretty great until she had to wake up. She was pretty disoriented and cried a lot- this pitiful, sad cry that broke my heart.
Here she is before the surgery- lots of extra teeth and all!
She was really nervous- I have never seen her so scared. But really she did fantastic minus the waking up part. You can see some of her now missing teeth in this picture:In fact, after we came home and the drugs wore off she was her old self. Outside of not being able to eat she was running around and having a jolly time. So much so I asked her if she wanted to go to her dance recital today. She said yes. (I know that was poor scheduling on my part- but the recital wasn't a big deal, and there were only a few surgery openings left). Anyway, we went.
I didn't get to see hardly any of the recital. Instead I did this with Camille:
I did sneak in for a few pictures. Audra even has a gap-filled smile here:
Her dance class is at her teachers house, and the recital was there, too- very low key and absolutely perfect. This is where Claire takes classes, too. After the recital they got to feed the nutcrackers- since they danced to the Nutcracker Suite and all.
She still can't eat solid foods so I'm keeping her home from school again for at least tomorrow, maybe Thursday as well. But outside of not being able to eat very much, she really did great. I'm proud of her!
3 comments:
Is it just baby teeth or does she have extra grown-up teeth? How interesting, indeed.
Good question...I guess permanent teeth, because they weren't baby teeth. She had two extra teeth blocking the permanent teeth from coming in, so the baby teeth wouldn't fall out. If we didn't do the surgery, she would have her front baby tooth for her whole life, until eventually the permanent tooth would fester and cause all kinds of problems. The tooth on the roof of her mouth is the biggest problem because it could eventually cause cancer. We have to have a $200 scan on it every two years for the rest of her life to make sure the fibers surrounding the turn don't turn cancerous. But they won't just remove it because it's a very complicated procedure. Very strange.
It's all just so random. There are a MILLION worse things in life so it's not really worth stressing out over, but it is annoying.
That seems so crazy, but a lady in our church, in her 40s never had her canine teeth come in. Her baby ones just crumbled and so now they are trying to force the permanent ones to drop. I guess it is more common than I thought. Also, I am taking H to the orthodontist the first week in January for our treatment plan and finding out exactly how much this is going to cost us. She has been under "observation" for a year and they think her mouth is now ready. Her poor two front teeth cross each other at a weird angle so we can't really let it go.... I wish we inherited better teeth!!!
Post a Comment