This last weekend I had the opportunity to rejuvenate my soul, so to speak. I flew (by myself!) to Seattle and met with my mom and all my sisters. Together we attended a women's conference put on my our church. I needed a break, and it really was fabulous- and needed- for me. Plus, I got to sneak in an evening with my best friend- thanks for meeting with me, Danielle!!!
One quick short story from before we left.
As we were driving to the airport, Audra was sobbing in the backseat because she was going to miss me. As she is sobbing, we hear Claire saying, "Audra, mom has to go. She's leaving soon and she will be gone a long time. She needs to be gone." It was hilarious as she rubbed the pain into Audra's heart.
Anyway, the rest of this post may be very boring. I want to write my notes from the conference down so that in the future I can look back and remember the uplifting spirit I felt while in Seattle. So it will be very boring for you, but I want to remember my thoughts.
Mary Ellen Smoot
-You can't plant anger in your heart and expect compassion to grow
-Ponder, meditate, think about good thoughts in your heart
-How do we cast our the weeds of angers, hate, and doubt? Change your mind! Put in good thoughts.
-A mighty change of heart includes a mighty change of mind
-Meditation is a form of prayer
-Find a time (pray about when) to think on purpose. Write down impressions.
Hillary Weeks
-Rice science experiment: Two jars, each filled 1/2 way with rice. Put jars in separate rooms with the same conditions. Say "love" things to one jar, "hate" things to another. After two months, one rice is still perfect (the love jar), and the other one is moldy and liquified. Words matter! The science? The vibrations from your voice cause the "hate" jar to turn moldy.
-Hillary says "I am a beautiful, healthy, capable, courageous, dynamic daughter of God." She doesn't say it because she thinks she is, but because she WANTS to be those things.
-What are my words for who God wants me to become?
Emily Watts
-Check your perceptions. Fair and equal are not the same thing.
-If you're perfectly balanced on a segway you aren't going anywhere. To go somewhere, you have to lean in (but if you lean in too far, you will crash)
-I trust Him to act in accordance to the bigger picture. God guides and protects His children more than we will ever know. He needs you to use the gifts He gives you.
-God intends for us to use our gifts today. Now, with our young kids.
D. Kelley Ogden
-We are not here to be comfortable. We are here to be challenged.
-Christ was made perfect through suffering. Us too.
-Life is what happens when you're making other plans. And if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.
-Sometimes the Lord has to bring us down so He can raise us higher. Rise to your destiny!
Hillary Weeks (again)
-Dancing In the Rain (Great song!)
-When's the last time I had FUN????
Richie Norton
-Life is SHORT. We don't know how long we have (his son died). Gavin's (his son) law: Live to start. Start to live. Don't wait because we don't know how much time we have.
-"Don't save something for a special occasion. Today is a special occasion"- Thomas S. Monson
How to embrace authenticity:
1.Recognize authenticity moments
2. Know yourself by knowing HIM
3. Don't be afraid of looking stupid (Noah, Davie, and others all looked stupid). Our important contributions may be disguised as something stupid
4. Crush fear- break it- literally- into small pieces and then tackle it piece by piece
5. Destroy the waiting place- don't waste your life WAITING to do your life. Start somewhere. What would I regret when I'm 80 if I didn't do it?
6. Clear the clutter and make room for your dreams
7. Replenish- make time for yourself! Russell M. Ballard- Daughter of God
8. Turn to the Lord
9. Not what I will, but what Thou wilt. By small and simple things, great things shall come to pass
Kris Belcher
-God is always watching over our hearts. He doesn't ask us to forget that we have a broken heart. He askes us to put our broken heart on the altar.
-Our heart condition can lead us toward or away from God.
- We can find JOY in our lives. The difficulties will come. Our hearts can be broken and hurt and given to Christ.
1 comment:
I'm so glad you got to go! And even better with your mom and sisters! I've been twice and loved every minute of it.
Post a Comment