As you all know, I have been struggling to find ways to have my kids get involved in service. I have had to get creative.
But, I came up with what I hope will be a brilliant plan.
I found out that the Jeffco Action Center, a food and clothing bank for the poor that I have done a lot of service for in the past, has a homeless shelter as well. At any given time they host up to 25 people. And, they accept baked goods for them. Yay!
I organized five friends and we are taking turns each month organizing a cookie/cupcake/baked goods decorating event for our kids. At the event, the kids will decorate or assemble whatever food the organizer decides. Afterwards, the organizer delivers the goods to the Action Center to be given to the homeless.
Yesterday we had our first get together. I hosted. The girls helped me make about a million sugar cookies. Then our friends came over and the kids decorated them. Afterwards, we delivered them. Everything seemed to go smoothly. We talked to the kids about why we were doing this and they were all excited to participate and to help the poor.
It isn't earth shattering service, but it is something. We'll see how it goes in the next few months.
No comments:
Post a Comment