Monday, January 26, 2015

Progress

I started seriously working out in, I think, July. I mentioned before that I am doing the program Fitness Blender that my sister introduced me to.

Since I started, I have gone through their 8 week program three times. I started with their full work outs, but after the first round switched to their 30 minute work outs. With starting homeschool, a full hour work out a day was just too much. But, now I work out five days a week for 30 minutes.

The first thing they have you do is a one mile run. Then, that is the last thing you do at the end of the program so you can see your progress.

When I started out in July, my beginning mile was: 8 min 39 seconds

After 4 weeks I was down to: 7 min 18 seconds

After the full first round 8 week program I was at: 7 min .03 seconds

After the second time I went through the program I finally broke 7 minutes and was down to: 6 min 54 second

Today, after finishing my third 8 week round of workouts (so now I have worked out for 24 weeks) I timed my mile again: 6 min 20 seconds!

Wow! I was impressed. Granted, it still isn't a fantastic time and I have absolutely no desire to do a long distance race, but I have now taken off well over 2 minutes from my starting time! I only run for these timed runs, otherwise I do their work-out videos, but I am impressed by how well these work outs actually work. It is fun to see the results! It helps to keep me motivated- and I need a lot of motivation. I really do not enjoy working out. But I do enjoy how it feels AFTER I work out.

4 comments:

ferfischer said...

You runner types. Matt is like this. My very fastest runs when I was really really fit in my 20's was only 10min. I am so so so so slow. Ha! Way to go - I have also found a way to build exercise into my daily routine - I started last spring/summer too - and it's gone well. I also agree that 30 min workouts are ideal, and better than nothing for us busy moms!

Kristin said...

6:20 IS a fantastic time for the mile! Way to go Christina! I'm glad you found something that works for you. I'm struggling to get much exercise these days.

Mandy said...

That is awesome!

Christina said...

I wouldn't call me a runner type:) When I coached cross country, my mantra was, "I'm slow, but I go." And that still remains my mantra! After this run I was dying- I'm still sore 2 days later. I could not sustain that pace for even 10 yards more, I am sure.