Monday, December 19, 2011

Bad Mom, Good Treats

I'm not exactly winning "Mother of the Year" today. 

Due to scheduling problems, I wasn't able to make our annual Christmas treats until today. I thought it would be fine. I was wrong.

I REALLY need Ben to be home to keep the kids entertained while I bake! Otherwise, crazy things happen- and I don't mean that in a good way.

It started out OK. They helped unwrap the candy canes that needed to be crushed. All of Claire's ended up still having all the wrapper still on, but she had fun and it was no big deal. I was in charge of quality control.

 But then Claire decided she would eat/drink anything from the dirty dishes in the sink- even the ones that had already had soap put on them. So, yes, she drank chocolate soap water- and apparently liked it because it was impossible to stop her.
 They also both kept insisting on eating everything in sight. In fact, when I put Claire down for her nap, she said: "I don't want to go nigh-nigh. I want to eat more food!" I bet you did, Claire!
 Here's Audra eating more and more:
 They "helped" with the sugar cookies. They got to take turns choosing which shape they wanted made.
 After Claire went to bed, I let Audra decorate the cookies. I didn't want Claire trying to do this- that would have been a disaster!
Admittedly, I eventually just turned the TV on and let them watch because it was too hard to keep them out of everything. I hate letting them watch too much TV, but today they got a lot of TV time. Sometimes that just happens, I guess.

But, the treats are done and they are a success! Whew! It is always nice when they are done. Ben told me last week, "do you have to make treats? That ruins Christmas." He really hates this tradition. But then today he called me from work and asked if I would have some extra that he could take to work. Being the wonderful and nice wife that I am, I made him beg and tell me how grateful he is that I made Christmas goodies so he could take some to work.
Tomorrow we will do the deliveries, and then I think I will be done with just about everything for Christmas. I love it when I can say that!

1 comment:

ferfischer said...

Oh, cooking with kids. I have yet to perfect this. I have one thing they are allowed to stand on and that's it - that helps. I try to do the major work with them focused on something else, and then involve them in a small part... Sounds yummy though - I bet next year goes even better!